birding-aus

Cat Control

To: "Terry Bishop" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Cat Control
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:23:24 +1000
Hi Terry,

Let's not forget that cats prey on a whole range of native animals that are not birds. It may well be that the impact on Squirrel Gliders, Brush-tailed Phascogales, small threatened snake species and lizards may be far greater than the impact on birds.

If a cat is catching mice they may be native mice or small mouse-like marsupials.

An Elliott box trap is a much more ecologically sound method of catching rats and mice. This method allows the animal to be identified. If it is an introduced rodent it can be humanely dispatched. If it is a native mammal it can be released unharmed back into the wild. Once a cat has bitten its prey it very rarely survives even if it is rescued.

Congratulations to the cat owners who are keeping their felines under control. Unfortunately, for every person who is doing the right thing there are likely to be hundreds of cat owners who don't.

I would prefer a cat free society so that our native animals can co-exist with us in our urban environments.

Regards

Greg Clancy