birding-aus

Hooded Plover - breeding cages

To: "Peter Madvig" <>, <>
Subject: Hooded Plover - breeding cages
From: "Val Ford" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:38:25 +1100
Hi Peter

Bob Beard and the Phillip Island Hooded Plover group have been working on the cage idea for a number of years now.  I last spoke with them earlier this year and I think they have either given up on the idea of are having serious doubts.  As you can imagine they have had lots of unexpected problems with them and then they still often have to put up a temporary fence to keep the people away.

HPs seem to like 'common' beaches - unfortunately.  'My beach' is in a national park and dogs are allowed at certain times of the day - and when they are not allowed they are still there!!!

I have found that the best way of getting breeding success is to pray for bad weather and thus not have to worry about people and dogs on the beach.  I have 2 pairs of HPs that I monitor on my local ocean beach.  Each year they can each lay up to 6 clutches per season and are very lucky if from that effort they get one fledgling.  However had a juvenile fledge a week ago - probably only because the not beach weather kept people away.

Regards
Val