birding-aus

Hooded Plover - breeding cages

To: "Peter Madvig" <>, <>
Subject: Hooded Plover - breeding cages
From: "Val Ford" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 06:21:13 +1100
Peter

As part of another thread you wrote:
I wish the Hooded Plovers on the Portland beach could get some sort of 'cage' to encourage protected breeding - I asked someone from Rotary about it, and of course you need to prove "in the common interest"!

Cages have been trialled [and are still being trialled] on Phillip Island, Vic.  Many different sizes, both cage and mesh, have been tested.  And many problems have been encountered - for example if the nest is on a slope the cage will move down the dune, predators have been seen sitting on the cages waiting for the adult Hooded Plovers to come out, people walk up to and closely inspect the cage, etc, etc.

The results to date have been published - somewhere in my pile of papers to be 'filed' I have a paper by Peter Dann et al documenting the trials and tribulations.

Regards
Val
Sorrento, Vic
[Friend of Mornington Peninsula Hooded Plovers]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.