birding-aus

PETITION FOR FERETS QLD. PARLIAMENT

To: Chris Sanderson <>
Subject: PETITION FOR FERETS QLD. PARLIAMENT
From: "Michael Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:57:17 +1000
Chris Sanderson wrote:

This issue was raised on ABC radio about 2 weeks ago and a comment from one naturalist was simple - "can't these people find enough cuddly furry pets from what is currently available without the need to bring ferrets into the state".

And it wouldn't be the first time people have said a species wouldn't
do something it has done.  Twenty years ago people said the Cane Toad
would never make it down south, and now it's almost at the Murray
catchement.  Why take a risk when people are already allowed to own
cats, dogs, rats, and introduced birds.

I'm the new manager for a project to eradicate red-eared slider turtles (an American species), an animal brought into Australia by reptile fanciers. Notice that I said reptile fanciers, and not herpetologists. Several things have been said in the past about this animal. "It can't establish here"; "it can't hurt anything" and "what about the lost income to people who might want to sell them?"

I've just helped a team pull 140 sliders out of five small farm dams (where they "shouldn't be able to establish"). Some of these were new hatchlings, and others were animals carrying eggs. In these dams, which are suitable as habitat for native turtles and native fish, we found no native turtles and no native fish (even though the sliders "arent supposed to hurt anything") and removing these animals is very expensive and time consuming (It looks as if the cost of removing these animals will end up being considerably more than what might be earned selling them as pets). AQIS report that people still try to bring these animals into Australia, and I know that there are those who think we should allow people to keep them as pets.

Bringing new organisms into Australia, especially then there is no pressing need, is an unecessary risk. History shows that the risks are not always easy to predict, which is why we have to do such exhaustive testing and studying of potential biocontrol agents before even considering them for importation. Keeping animals like sliders or ferrets is really a whim- its not a 'need'. Bringing in new animals like ferrets and sliders is a risky experiment underwritten by the taxpayer, because that is who will end up paying to deal with any problems if they arise. Its incredible that we should assent to something with unknown, but potentially serious risks, simply to satisfy a whim.

Scott O'Keeffe