birding-aus

Re: Trespassing birders

Subject: Re: Trespassing birders
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:58:56 +1100

Andrew Taylor wrote "I think we should have reasonable access to (most of) pastoral leases for activities such as bird watching which do not interfere with pastoral
activities.
"

Andrew may well be right here but I think everyone would still be well advised to seek permission before heading off across someone else's property (leased or otherwise).

There is, among many, a feeling that if there is no house within sight then you are free to roam.  All legalities aside landholders (be they freehold or leasehold) are well within their (moral) rights to be concerned about people they do not know wandering around their property.  To my mind, there is little difference between a quarter acre, 40 hectares or 40 000 hectares (excuse the lack of standard measurement).  It's their home and/or business and have a right to have this respected.

We all know birdwatchers are (relatively) harmless but think of it from the landholders point of view - they don't know you, or your intentions, from a bar of soap.

All food for thought.

David Geering

confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the NSW Department of Environment and Conservation.