birding-aus

Trespassing birders

To: <>, <>
Subject: Trespassing birders
From: "Paul Rose" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:27:04 +1100
Good morning all,

I'm going to get somewhat nostalgic here but for the right reasons.
And after that I'll sit down and put together the overdue thanks and
report I owe you for the winning Victoria 24-hour twitchathon (watch
this space).
While I have unequivocal support for the need to respect private
landowners property and seek permission beforehand (it is not this that
I am challenging), isn't it a shame that the same "right-of-way"
prevalent in Britain can't be adopted here in Australia.  It's the same
old argument about the majority of people doing the right thing -
respecting the flora and fauna, closing gates, not toileting and the
like !  But the few that don't, coupled with the bloody insurance,
insurance, insurance argument, prevents one from exploring freely.  How
absolutely wonderful is it when you're out and about, knowing that the
beautiful world that has been given to us can be grabbed hold of without
worrying about crossing that fence .... of course the good birds are
going to be on the other side, the protected side, the well-forested,
swampy, scrubby, buggy, get your feet dirty side!  It's a bit sad that
there will be so many rules when my son wants to go down to the local
creek and look for frogs or run through a field of flowers or sit
quietly under the biggest tree he can find and soak up the sounds of the
woodlot - in Britain and later many years in Canada, that's how I grew
up and I think myself so fortunate.  That's where an appreciation of the
things around us is born, my birdwatching from 12 years of age, later
learning about butterflies and wildflowers and herps and mushrooms - you
don't find puffballs (with their brown 'smoke' when you squeeze them)
and red-bellied newts (sorry, reverting to my Canadian side) on the
roadside, or on the private medical insurance side of the fence !  And
don't give me any of this .... in a perfect world stuff.  That need for
exploration is in us all, it's so prominent in the poeple chatting here
otherwise we wouldn't be doing all the good that we do.  Here's to
freedom and doing the right thing by it !!!

Hey ......  be good and good birding !
That's it.

Cheers,

P.

Paul Rose
Year 9 Purple Team
Department of Biology and Chemistry
Wesley College - Glen Waverley
620 High Street Road
Glen Waverley  3150
(03) 9881 5426

>>> <> 11/11/03 09:36am >>>
Margaret Cameron wrote "It appears that not everyone knows that if you
wish to go birding in this
private property, it is essential to get permission from the landowners
beforehand."

This is also a perennial problem in the Capertee Valley in NSW as well

although, to be fair, since the problem has been raised as an issue
with
bird clubs the number of reports of trespassing to me has been reduced.
At
one stage last year I was constantly getting phone calls or being
stopped
by landowners.  One of the problems in the Capertee Valley is that the

vast majority of the valley is private property.  Birding tends to be
restricted to roadsides but there is much temptation when good birds
are
observed on the "other side of the fence".

I guess I want to reiterate Margaret's message: please do the right
thing
otherwise you may well undo a lot of good will that presently exists
and
stuff it up for everyone.

Good birding

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
Department of Environment & Conservation
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the
sender. Views expressed in this message may be those of the individual
sender, and are not necessarily the views of the NSW Department of
Environment and Conservation.

Birding-Aus is now on the Web at