birding-aus

Birding Spots

To: <>
Subject: Birding Spots
From: "iandowling" <>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 15:32:44 +1100
Hi Folks
Having returned from travelling some 8000km around NSW & Qld I thought you might be interested in some of the spots visited.
NSW
Oolambeyan Station, north of Conargo, now a National Park specifically for Plain Wanderer is not generally open to visitors  but if you say the magic word 'birdwatcher' permission should not be refused. Contact the NPWS in Griffiths first. There are no facilities yet but access is good. When we were there the paddocks were wet. We could not drive around and were limited to around the homestead.
Lake Brewster, East of Hillston is a very quiet spot and you will probably have it on your own. Good toilet and free - the camping spot I mean.
Qld
Bowra Station, Cunnamulla - what more can I say it should be on every 'birdos' list. It is easy to get to, barely 6km of unmade road.  It was just coming out of drought at the time and birds were plentifull. The variety of habitat makes it just great -yes! and we did see the Grey Falcon and 99 others.
St George - Kapunda Camp Ground on the river NE of town. Another wonderfully quiet spot. A bit of a hike to the toilet (you need plenty of warning) but everything is there and birds as well.
Hervey Bay - don't forget to contact the local Bird Group. They are a great group and have some good birding areas to show off. Garnetts Lagoon (trust I've spelt that correctly)) is just fabulous after you can avoid the 'cow pats'. Its on private property so you have to be taken. Also the 'bird hide' for waders. Got my first Channel-billed Cuckoo ( actually sighted 6, Cicadabird and Square-tailed Kite).
Still haven't seen a noisy Pitta - if I walk another rainforest I'll probably scream.
Ian D