birding-aus

Copeland Conservation Reserve

To: <>
Subject: Copeland Conservation Reserve
From: "Penny Drake-Brockman" <>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:17:58 +1100
Dear Birding-aussers

After a long gap (3 months) did my monthly walk around Copeland reserve, 15 k west of Gloucester, NSW. It was extremely noisy with Brown Gerygones, Whipbirds and 2 Noisy Pittas (heard only), but no pigeons or doves calling and a sighting of only one Brown Pigeon. Since there appeared to be no fruit in the figs or other rainforest trees, this was most likely why. However, had good views of Spectacled Monarch, Rufous Fantail, Pale-yellow Robin, Bassian Thrush, S.Lyrebird, Logrunners (including family party of 2 adults with 2 juveniles) and Crested Shrike-tit. No bowerbirds, heard one Catbird once, and the only cuckoo was a Brush in the background. There are a few pools still in the creek which were attracting birds and would be a good place to sit and watch if one had time.

Back at home, my nights are disturbed by fruit bats quarrelling in my mulberry tree (the mulberries are delicious), and this morning a Brown Goshawk flew through the back garden at deck height causing consternation all round. The Magpie Larks have 3 nestlings (2 males/1 female) who are too big to sit comfortably in the nest, spend their day flapping wings and preening - should fly any moment now.