birding-aus

Beginning Birding

To: <>
Subject: Beginning Birding
From: "Dicksons" <>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 15:24:02 +1000
I'm not sure exactly when or why I started birding but it is almost certainly because of my Grade 6 teacher. She taught us about birds - I don't know if it was part of any syllabus, although my sister who is currently in grade 6 studied birds briefly before school camp at Paluma - unfortunately the birds they studied were highly unlikely to appear & they didn't study the birds that visit the birdfeeder, which no doubt diminished the experience somewhat.

When I was in grade 6 we went down to the lagoons in nearby Anderson Park to sketch the moorhens & ducks. At one point a Darter climbed hastily out of the water a couple of metres in front of us & proceeded to dry it's wings - potentially a magical experience, but as far as I know none of my classmates developed an interest in birds, except perhaps shooting them.

We were also to start a house list, which I did & one of the first on the list was a stunning Brahminy Kite soaring overhead. From that point on I think I made a note of the birds I saw each day. I started recording species lists & started my life list at the end of the next year.

I didn't really make it know that I was a birder, didn't even stand up for the "shags" that my mates had shot on the weekend, because it wasn't a cool pastime but anyone who found out seemed OK with it - at least they didn't make any derogatory comments, which I was half expecting.

One out of 30 isn't a very good comversion rate under such circumstances, but if education isn't the answer I don't know what is. As Lawrie Conole said, I can't see how anyone could fail to take an interest in the environment when its all around us. Why is it the birds of the UK have managed to arouse the interest of so many, yet those of Australia, far surpassed in diversity & beauty & the splendour of the environment they occupy seem to have failed?

Tim Dickson
Townsville
(Sorry, I'm sure the UK & its birds are very nice too)