birding-aus

Re: Pelagic Trip I wish I didn't

Subject: Re: Pelagic Trip I wish I didn't
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 08:48:55 +1000
Claire seems to have had a shocker of a pelagic and mentioned that
seasickness is not mentioned in any of the "recommendations" or "hints & tips"
she
read.

I also went out on my first pelagic a couple of weeks ago from Newcastle.
While there was no mention that seasickness might be a factor by the
organisers of the trip I simply accepted this as something that would be a
major factor in planning for the trip.  There is a wealth on this topic on
the archives and I put together a file myself.  I must say that some of it
is contradictory but it is pretty straight forward sorting out what
approach you want to take.

I actually arrived at the boat with pills but not having taken one as I
have been on some very dodgy light aircraft trips radio tracking Regent
Honeyeaters over the sandstone cliffs of Wollemi Nation Park on 40 degree
days without any real ill effects despite having to do all the wrong
things (such as continually looking down and changing frequencies on the
radio receiver - not good I can tell you).

Having arrived at the boat I asked for opinions on whether I should pop a
pill.  The unanimous cry went up "YES!!"  Ten minutes before setting off I
took the pill.  The trip out was rough and drifting out beyond the shelf
was also a rather rocky affair but I fared very well.

I guess the moral is always be prepared.  Some people seem to fare better
than others but you are never going to know until you do it.

I'm actually planning a pelagic out of Wollongong in September for
Australian Bird Study Association members.  This will be a banding trip.
SOSSA regular band seabirds out of Wollongong but are often constrained by
birders getting restless by sitting in the one spot for too long.  I image
a number of the people booking will be new to pelagics.  I will be
ensuring that everyone is aware is the risk of seasickness and will
provide information gleaned from the birding-aus archives to allow them to
make a decision how best to manage this potential problem.

Cheers

David Geering

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.