birding-aus

Pelagic Trip I wish I didn't

To: <>
Subject: Pelagic Trip I wish I didn't
From: "Birds of Perth" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 21:23:31 +0800
Well my first Pelagic Trip and one very excited little birdo all ready equipped with camera, film and guide - what I didn't count on was the sea sickness! It's not mentioned in any of the "recommendations" or "hints & tips" I read! We travelled for 2 hours off the coast of WA, from "The Cut" in Mandurah far out to where I long ago lost of land. On the way out we were joined by a small flock of Silver Gull and one Great Skua. Further out we slowly attracted more and more White-chinned Petrel (a tick for the book) which glided low over the 2-3m swell occasionally coming to land near the boat before taking off again to avoid a wave. The trip was cancelled (to my overwhelming relief) and we headed back in, taking the Petrel with us. While sitting with my head between my hands I glanced up just in time to see an albatross sitting on the water, all white with black-dark grey mantle and wings (either Yellow-nosed or Black-browed), my first-ever sighting of an Albatross and I don't even know which species!

Once back on land I saw Crested Tern, Caspian Tern, Fairy Tern, Great Cormorant, Little Pied Cormorant, Pied Cormorant, Australian Pelican, Silver Gull, White-faced Heron, Rufous Night-Heron, Pacific Black Duck, Australian Wood Duck, Grey Fantail, Grey Butcherbird, Grey Currawong, Australian Magpie, Mudlark, Brown Honeyeater, Silvereye, Pardalote Sp., Australian Ringneck, White-tailed Black-cockatoo and lucky last and a newie for me ... Inland Thornbill.
I think I might stay an ornithologist who leaves Pelagic seabirds off my "To See" list!!!

Claire Stevenson
01/04/02 - Mandurah, WA (Port Bouvard & "The Cut" )