birding-aus

Are we birders, twitchers etc a rare species or what

To: <>
Subject: Are we birders, twitchers etc a rare species or what
From: "Bruce Roubin" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 23:00:26 +1000
Hi,
 Are we birders, twitchers etc a rare species or what? I've been fortunate enough to go birding in many parts of Australia and in my home city (Sydney) over the last few years. Notable sites included Kangaroo Is, Rottnest Is., Capertee NSW, Ormiston Gorge, Lamington National Pk. I've frequented my home zone of Royal National Pk, Botany Bay NP., Shell Pt Botany Bay, plus my work zone of all reserves and parks on the lower North Shore. I've also taken my 'nocs with me when playing golf on various courses around Australia
- and yet (not counting society field trips and P&W rangers), I have never ever encountered another birder, twitcher, or other type of birdwatcher in the wild!  Given that I spend (I reckon) on average 18 hrs a week doing this, as a statistical sample I would have to conclude, in the absence of these websites and literature, that most of you are only sociable or armchair birders> Please explain!
Even on Botany Bay at Ramsgate, my wife and myself have had hours of ecstatic enjoyment of the yellow-tailed cockatoos (which are by the way in good attendance now at the southern stand of radiata pines), whilst dozens of other people or picknickers milled-by. Other people seem to pass by without even a glance of interest, no inkling of the wonderful antics before them at straight-ahead eye level (with birds flying to old man banksias or between the pines). Not the slightest interest!

Regards
Bruce Roubin