birding-aus

Leech socks & mozzie nets??

To: Brian Fleming <>
Subject: Leech socks & mozzie nets??
From: Merrilyn Serong <>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:28:11 +1100

> Phil Hansbro wrote:
> >
> > Would anyone know where to get some Leech socks.
> >
> Anthea Fleming wrote:

> Dear Phil,
>
> Seriously though, I am interested in the idea; the only anti-leech
> technique I know of is to impregnate socks and trousers with salt and/or
> insecticide (don't know which one). I dislike leeches.
>
> Anthea Fleming in Melbourne

Dear Phil, Anthea, and others plagued by leeches

I am learning to live with leeches as they inhabit the wet forests that I
frequent in the Vic Central Highlands.  My main method of leech avoidance is
to cover up as much as I can, including wearing long pants and gaiters and
long sleeved tops. This also helps against mozzies to some extent and more
recently I have had a couple of bees flying about or crawling on me.
Leeches can be very distracting when trying to bird, but I actually find
them to be less trouble than flying insects and can be picked off the
clothes very easily if you check regularly.  Yesterday I had 7 leeches on me
in about 1 1/2 hours, but got them all off without them drawing blood.
Sometimes they get on my face and hands, but if it is not raining it is easy
to feel them, because they are so cold.  It is a good idea to carry a mirror
as it makes it easier to remove leeches from you face when you can see what
you are doing.
As leeches do not restrict themselves to the ankles, I don't think
leech-proof socks would be adequate.  I wonder if the body-suit Cathy
Freeman wore in the Olympic 400 m is leech-proof? That would be great.
I have tried putting insect repellant on my boots to deter the leeches, but
they just go straight over it.
Happy leech-free birding,
Merrilyn