birding-aus

koels & drongos

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: koels & drongos
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:05:17 +1100
Hi Alex,

Given that the Drongo is itself a very pugnacious bird, can anyone comment
on whether Drongos and koels tend to avoid each other, given the similar
colouring between the male koel and drongo?

We have Drongoes (just how does one spell the plural of Drongo?
Tomato, tomatoes?) present just about all year, with Koels present
all through the warmer months. They exist in the same place, but I
cannot recall  seeing any interaction of any kind between them.

This summer our resident male Koel has a voice defect, which is
better than a leg band, because I don't even have to look up. He
sounds as though he has good dose of laryngitis. Whereas in the past
I have heard and seen a bird which I simply note as "Koel", now I am
fascinated to watch the breadth of the territory of this voice/marked
bird. I walk some distance early every morning, and have so far only
heard him roam as far from his centre as about 700m. I hear other
Koels calling from their nearby territories, but since this chap took
up position, the only other Koel in the territory has been a female.

regards,

Jill
--
Jill Dening