birding-aus

Brush Cuckoo in suburban Brisbane

To: Andrew Stafford <>
Subject: Brush Cuckoo in suburban Brisbane
From: HARRIS & WESTRUP John & Jude <>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 07:48:36 +1000
Andrew  and B-A's

A while ago I reported a Shining Bronze-Cuckoo being brought into my
staffroom at College at Indooroopilly.  Last week a Brush Cuckoo was
also brought in after being attacked by crows.  It was missing a few
upper primary feathers in its wing.

After trying a few different insects ( beetles etc) I hit on the idea of
mealworms.  I bought a tub from a pet shop near College.  The cuckoo
took a bit of time before being interested in them, but from then on
devoured them with gusto.

On Sunday after feeding it, I opened the cage I was keeping it in and it
managed to fly out into the next door neighbours yard.  I grabbed my
camera and went next door.  I managed to get a couple of photos before
it flew off.  I was glad that it could fly again but was concerned that
it might be attacked again before it was again fully feathered.

Regards

John