birding-aus

blackbirds

To: <>
Subject: blackbirds
From: "Betty Mitchell" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:40:59 +1000
What is the method used to trap Blackbirds and could the same method be
used for Common Mynahs and Sparrows. I would be keen to reduce the
population of these species in my garden. Bett Mitchell.

rs should be pretty thankjful
>> that you don't have Brush Turkeys yet!
>
>Hmmm, if you have problems with bush turkeys, you obviously have the
>wrong sort of garden.  We had a mound on our back fence at our previous
>residence, and didn't have any problems whatsoever - but then we didn't
>have any flower beds and we did donate all our grass clippings to the
>mound [try as he might, the turkey would have lost over half the
>clippings between the compost heap and his mound].
>
>Anyhow, I'm a firm believer in turkey rights - they do wonderful work in
>the rainforest!!
>
>LK

Actually in the rainforest, and the area I know best is Brisbane Forest Park
where I've done a 12 km sruvey for many years,  I find Brush Turkeys few and
far between.  This contrasts with the situation around picnic areas.

I wish that they were that scarce in our garden, backing onto a dry creek
coming down from Toohey Forest in Brisbane [over the hill from you Laurie,
and I don't think that it is the WRONG sort of garden].

Over the past 14 years we've planted many hundreds of native trees and shrubs
in the garden and it is starting to thicken up appreciably.  However, with the
arrival of turkeys in the last 3-4 years, any new plantings have to be
surrounded
with logs to prevent the turkeys digging them up. I don't know if they are
going for
worms, or beetle grubs or are attracted by the damp soil but some plantings are
dug out almost immediately. In other cases they dig all around my "stockade".

Most books on native gardens talk about the importance of mulch.  Try
keeping mulch
around plants when there are turkeys about!!!

Cheers

Pete

Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science.             Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072             WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)