birding-aus

birding-aus Birdwatching Tourism

To: <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Birdwatching Tourism
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:38:51 +1100
Hi Stuart & all,
I'll respond to some of your comments. Surely, it is unreasonable to expect
all tour guides to know about all things (birds included). Other groups may
regret their lack of knowledge of astronomy. If the area they are guiding
over is a natural one, it is hoped that they at least know something about
the environment. However they may know all about geology instead and that is
OK too.

The thread going on this line is important. This is that it is up to us to
push the fact out there in people's communities, that we are interested in
birds and other natural history topics . Funny though, I have rarely
deliberately done so for the reasons now being expressed. However it is
important that in doing so, we don't create a bad image (wandering around on
properties etc.) - and I have done plenty of that - in all innocence.

As for the ranger at Wilson's Prom NP, I think you (Stuart) are being a bit
harsh. "No more than usual" sounds OK to me. It may even have been true, if
there was nothing unusual reported there recently. He/she probably did not
know your level of knowledge of the area and whether finding a Silver Gull
was a great thrill for you. Apart from that, we all have off-days. When
going to a natural area, the aim is mainly to see what is usually there,
especially at somewhere like Wilson's Prom NP, which has plenty there on a
"usual" basis. It is unreasonable to expect someone on the gate to keep
running tabs on things as mobile as birds. Besides, they may be accused of
giving a "bum-steer" (is there an alternate nice expression to that?) if you
don't find that bird.

30 years ago, the ranger Rudd Campbell (I think) at Wyperfeld NP in NW Vic
took myself (then aged 13) and a friend, out, sitting on the back flap of
his LandRover ute (and my parents inside). This was a tour for several hours
around the park. I think he was doing his usual check of whatever was needed
to be done. I remember being shown the Mallee fowl, Peregrine Falcon,
Bee-eaters and W-w Choughs (at their respective nests) all new for me of
course then. A great guided tour but unfortunately life for park rangers is
quite different now and that kind of privilege is now rare. Generally
though, they are all pretty knowledgeable or at least interested and do
their task well.