birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Birdwatching Tourism

To: <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Birdwatching Tourism
From: "Macaw" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 07:58:12 +1100
I suppose I count as a 'little birder'.  I'm 13, and it seems to me that
most other children want to fit in and be cool.  A lot of people will take
an interest but not actively pursue it for fear of being discovered.

One of my friends has a mother who works for WIRES.  In 1998 she regularly
brought young animals to show us, and it really interested a lot of people.
Active displays are the best way to get us kiddies interested.  Most kids
think books are boring and musty.  Putting up posters or giving talks
without showing will just have the same effect as a book.  Shove it in our
faces otherwise we'll just forget.

Talk to a zoo or another wildlife-related organisation.  Give talks with the
birds right there.  Demonstrate birding techniques.
I don't have any idea how to deal with smaller children.  But what I think
is that you need to interact.  That's it in a nutshell - get the learner
involved.  Maybe making things related to your topic.
Tom

How do you approach the subject with young children? Or even older
children? How do you connect with them? And how do you get them to handle
binos without annihilating them? I think I could learn, but I need some
clues.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"