birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Birdwatching Tourism

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Birdwatching Tourism
From: "Heather Gibbs" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:00:17 +1100
Chris and all

I agree that for the birdwatcher it is probably best to avoid travel agents
and go direct to smaller operators. However I was thinking of the bigger
picture. Until birdwatching makes the mainstream then enormous opportunities
are being lost. In all environmental issues it can seem like an individual
CAN'T make a difference and ISN'T heard but the only way things can happen
is if we don't all give up!

Occasionally companies actually have to listen to their clients (and
POTENTIAL clients) to keep in business.

Also you are saying very clearly that you are running a business but are not
motivated only by profit ... some business are, but a lot (especially small,
independant businesses) are motivated by much more. Just as (I think) it is
with politicians and public servants ... they are all individuals, more or
less (or not) independant. It is only when you look, and are prepared to
see, and nurture, the people in any position of power that do CARE about
things, that things will improve. My 10 cents worth anyway.

Heather

>     Comment: Whilst Heather Gibbs suggests telling Travel Agents about the
> benefits of birdwatching tourism, it is all wasted breath. Heather went on
> to say big companies are people and can be personal. That also is wasted.
> Travel Agents and Information Centres make their money on commissions.
They
> patronise the tourism product that earns them the most money. If they work
> for a big company they are instructed to do likewise. My advice is do not
> use them. You will not get what you want in most cases and you pay a
premium
> for it. Most certainly you will not get any bona-fide birdwatching tourism
> products.

quotes)