birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Birdwatching Tourism

To: <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Birdwatching Tourism
From: "Heather Gibbs" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 15:39:31 +1100
Chris and everyone,

I agree it would make an interesting discussion ...

I had already replied to the request for info myself, before Hugo posted it
to this list - including with:

* If you have a business (or know someone who does), find some local groups
to support - e.g. by giving products to use in raffles or competitions. Some
groups even run auctions of donated stuff to raise money (e.g. I think the
?peter mccallum? cancer research institute does this but I don't know any
birds groups that do).

-------

I could also have added ...

*  if you know businesses run by people who genuinely care about the
environment, then support them!

*  if you think birds are important, MENTION them to people when booking
your holiday through a travel agent. And, threaten to shop elsewhere if
they're not proactive about finding you information. Similarly with other
purchases - binoculars, cameras, books, software, even socks.

I often hear people complaining about "companies" and "businesses" as if
they are not run by people. Sure beuracracies and company structures are not
conducive to helping the environment, but AT THE BOTTOM LINE they are all
designed, controlled and run by PEOPLE.

It is only when we realise that, that we can make a difference on a PERSONAL
level.

Also, if you make a purchase based on environmental concerns, say so and
make it obvious. Unfortunately sales figures will always speak the loudest,
but how will people know WHY you choose a product unless you tell them?

It upsets me greatly when I read that, for instance, Kyocera laser printers
started selling much better when they stopped wasting space talking about
environmental benefits and instead concentrated on savings in running costs.
It's NOT economical for a company to do the right thing - but only because
PEOPLE - you and me (yes, and everyone else) - don't care enough when making
their purchasing decisions.

Anyway as you can tell I could go on for far too long with these
not-quite-fully-worked out ideas. Maybe another day. Since I'm trying to run
a business not to mention hold down a job I'd better get back to work.

Heather
http://www.protoavis.com.au/

P.S. Another way to help birds - all you twitchers out there - get natural
gas fitted if you drive long distances! You environmental vandals - sssssss
(hey, nobody's perfect!)