Re: Audio editing apps for a new iMac?

Subject: Re: Audio editing apps for a new iMac?
From: "" vpowys
Date: Sat Dec 1, 2018 10:08 pm ((PST))
Thanks very much everyone for your responses.  I have now downloaded severa=
l apps, including these:

Amadeus - I have always liked Amadeus for sonograms. $60 US, worthwhile for=
 me even if only to make sonograms.

Audacity, free, useful for some things but I don=92t like the interface.

Sound Studio by felt tip, an app that I have previously used, and liked, ni=
ce simple interface, my favourite so far. Free demo then $30 US.

Apulsoft apQualizer, an Audio Unit plug in for EQ-ing.  I have always loved=
 watching its window in real time, showing the frequencies of everything th=
at is happening, allowing you to use notch filters etc and to see & hear ex=
actly what is happening.  Free demo then pay about $70 US.  It works fine i=
n Amadeus and Audacity, but not in Sound Studio (=93not sand box friendly=
=94).

Adobe stuff - I really do object to the monthly hiring fee, so I have not i=
nvestigated any further.  I=92m sure it is excellent, but I don=92t do enou=
gh editing to make it worthwhile.

Still to purchase, iZotope, which I have used previously and it is excellen=
t, even the very old version that I had.  Maybe I can do an upgrade.

What I like about Sound Studio is its simplicity, and importantly it is so =
easy to create a new window for a new file, (Command-N), almost the same as=
 Peak used to be.  For some reason Audacity and Amadeus won=92t do it, they=
 tack on a new file into the same window.  I often like to select a short s=
ound from a longer file, and paste it into a new window for further analysi=
s e.g. a song phrase or a bee buzz or whatever.

So it looks like I will have to use several apps.

These notes may help anyone else needing to upgrade their Mac computer!

Thanks again guys.

Vicki