Re: water resistant, acoustically transparent fabric

Subject: Re: water resistant, acoustically transparent fabric
From: "Russ Wigh"
Date: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:11 am ((PDT))
Thanks Dan

I have printed your description and the scheme to which you
linked. Our fall season is fairly dry, and my installation
would not be permanent.  I am told the focal point of this
reflector is 6 inches.  From there I envisioned a protective
enclosure of the mic capsule which would allow for a high
point in the center of the parabola allowing rain to roll
off the windscreen fabric. One thing that came to my mind
was a whisk with the handle cut off and the ends secured
into a PVC fitting.  That is probably way too elaborate, but
I have thought about the rain issue. The position of the
contraption on the dormer roof allows me to run one 5 meter
cable through a window to a shelf where the preamp and
recorder sit, and can be put on a timer.

Last year I pushed a Sennheiser ME67 through the dormer
window and got distant calls, some of which I was able to
identify spectrographically.  But fall on the Georgia coast
is still warm, and the cicadas are in full voice.  I hope to
reach past them with the narrow cone of the reflector.  To
avoid insects one morning, about 4:00A.M., I was in a nearby
field with the microphone on a lighting stand about 13 ft
high.  It was pitch dark, and out of a grove of wood came a
sound I had never heard before.
https://soundcloud.com/russ-wigh/deer-blowing  Scared the
hell out of me.  So much for that effort.

I noticed a couple of years ago on OldBird's website that he
used kitchen wrap to protect his mic.  You mentioned it in
your response as well. Doesn't that impair the microphone to
some degree?    Thanks for your response.

Russ Wigh