First Time Recorder Equipment Suggestions

Subject: First Time Recorder Equipment Suggestions
Date: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:49 am ((PST))
Hi Everyone,

 I'm brand new here and brand new to nature recording. I am reading Bernie =
Krause's book and found this message board listed in the book.

  I currently work as Education Manager at a new, non-profit, semi-urban pa=
rk in Louisville, KY. Since 2017 will be our first full year of park operat=
ions, I would like to begin recording in certain habitats to get baseline d=
ata on the geophony and biophony within the 4,000 acre park. One of our cri=
tical missions is to preserve and improve upon the habitats within our park=
 and I think observing the change in natural sounds over time would be a ne=
at project for the park and a neat thing to share with the almost 14,000 st=
udents we have come through our environmental education program. Habitats i=
nclude riparian, forest, and meadow.

 My question is this: what recording equipment would you recommend for the =
purpose described above? Also, what kind of equipment may serve the above p=
urpose but be fairly inexpensive and easy to operate? We are a non-profit s=
o money is tight. I need something that is inexpensive but will produce qua=
lity recordings.

 Thanks in advance! In the short time I have known about nature recording I=
 have fallen in love with it!