Re: First Time Recorder Equipment Suggestions

Subject: Re: First Time Recorder Equipment Suggestions
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:55 pm ((PST))
I've never used one myself, but I know of people who use these:
https://www.wildlifeacoustics.com/products/song-meter-sm4

Here's another:
http://www.sieve-analytics.com/arbimon

I assume there are others. They're rarely discussed here because the focus =
is on high quality recordings, not unattended recordings.

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad

On 24 Dec. 2016, at 6:12 pm, <=
rr.com> [naturerecordists] <<naturer=
>> wrote:

Good points, Peter. I'd wondered about calibration ever since I read about =
Gordon Hempton's sound level measurements in the Quietudes chapter of his n=
ew book. And the rest... Except for the stuff Gene has listed on his Froglo=
ggers site, I've never even seen dedicated recorders like the kind you're d=
escribing. Do you have any URLs for that kind of hardware? It'd be good to =
know what's out there.

Completely different subject, requirements, etc., but a while back my boss =
tasked me with coming up with a remotely operable contact microphone that c=
ould take ten seconds of audio, run an FFT, do all sorts of things, then sp=
it back all the files. Two of us at work wound up building a more or less t=
urnkey system we could crank out pretty easily, but if there's already dedi=
cated hardware that we could've turned to our needs, that would've made lif=
e a lot easier.

I don't want to take over this thread with stereo micing techniques, so I'l=
l start a new one and share what I've done.

Tom