Re: First Time Recorder Equipment Suggestions

Subject: Re: First Time Recorder Equipment Suggestions
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:40 pm ((PST))
Hi Curtis,

That is wonderful for you to want to seek out and improve the biophony
and geophony of the park you are education manager for.  How
enlightened and I wish this would happen in Australia as well.  We
seem to have no sense of what damage man-made noise can do to the
natural environment, and our own sense of well-being.

Taking Bernie's cue, I suggest you definitely record in STEREO.  Set
up two mics on a tripod and walk away.

Tom in a reply email has given some good advice.  I too recommend
EM172 mics as being cheap and reliable.  On my own web page I have
made comparisons with EM172 electret mics, with more expensive mics,
in some cases you can hardly tell the difference.

I would suggest a home-made SASS style of head, or simply a block of
high density foam (yoga block) with mics either side.  It needs to be
properly windshielded.  Tom has given some good links, and see my web
site also, look under recording gear, lots of home made stuff there.

www.caperteebirder.com

good luck!

Vicki Powys
Australia