Re: First Time Recorder Equipment Suggestions

Subject: Re: First Time Recorder Equipment Suggestions
From: inetd_conf
Date: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:04 am ((PST))
I'm glad Vicki brought up the SASS. I built mine after scouring her site an=
d the DIY Stereo Boundary Mics blog:

 http://diystereoboundarymics.blogspot.com/ http://diystereoboundarymics.bl=
ogspot.com/

 During a trip to Scotland last June I found out the SASS is a little bulky=
 for air travel (though actually not much bulkier than a typical zeppelin).=
 So I went on a bit of a binge, trying to find a more compact stereo micing=
 system that delivers comparable performance. Eventually it turned into a f=
ree-for-all to see if anything else delivers that kind of performance, comp=
act or not. What I found is that it's really really hard to beat the sense =
of space the SASS delivers.

 I tend to over-complicate my builds, so I can't advocate my way of making =
an SASS. Vicki's page on her stereo arrays offers much more tractable appro=
aches:

 http://caperteebirder.com/index.php?p=3D1_17_recording-gear-1 http://caper=
teebirder.com/index.php?p=3D1_17_recording-gear-1

 I think I built mine for under $50. Aside from the capsules, the most expe=
nsive part was the cable. Good shielded cable is worth every penny.