Re: powering lavalier mics

Subject: Re: powering lavalier mics
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:47 pm ((PDT))
> I would appreciate a little guidance on a problem I am having. I am looki=
ng for a lavalier microphone with a 3.5mm terminal to use with my Olympus L=
S10 which provides plug in power.

Understand that the LS10=92s input is stereo, intended to supply PIP to a l=
eft mic on the tip and a right mic on the ring. The Sennheiser transmitter =
that this mic is wired for is mono. It=92s a non-standard usage of the 3.5m=
m connector.

> I bought a Senal CL6 but according to what I have read it will not work o=
n this unit or with an XLR adaptor on my SD722. This company does make an i=
n-line phantom power adaptor for $50.00. Is that worth it? Otherwise I need=
 to send this back to B&H so I don=92t want to try it for fear of damaging =
the mic.

PIP voltage is low and unlikely to damage the mic if hooked up wrong. Almos=
t any PIP mic can be wired to input to the LS10, but it takes an engineer t=
o study the mic=92s wiring and figure out how to adapt it. There are positi=
ve- and negative-powered lavalier mics, and two- and three-wire connection =
schemes.

I believe the Sennheiser wiring uses only the tip for the mic=92s connectio=
n and requires grounding both the sleeve and the ring.

https://sennheiseruk.happyfox.com/kb/article/104-ew-plug-pin-configuration

With the LS-10 you would get audio on the left channel, not sure what you w=
ould hear on the right channel, if anything. You could throw the right chan=
nel away in post processing.

> Ultimately I would like to make this set-up overnight usable by weatherpr=
oofing all the components and running it into a screech-owl box, several of=
 which we are placing in the public areas of our community. If you have com=
ments on this scheme I would be grateful.

You=92re going to put the mic inside the nest box to get the sounds of the =
babies? In that case the CL-6 would probably be adequate. By its specificat=
ions (noise 24dBA) it=92s too noisy for distant pickup, i.e. soundscape rec=
ording.

> Russ Wigh

-Dan Dugan