Re: Question about 44.1 vs 96 kHz

Subject: Re: Question about 44.1 vs 96 kHz
From: madl74
Date: Tue Jun 2, 2015 1:42 am ((PDT))
> I cleaned up a talk at a tech conference that was recorded in 16 bit and =
way too low.=A0 The voice was basically the same level as the noise floor.=
=A0 Had it been 24 bit, and not 16 bit, fewer of the voices (the talk) woul=
d have dropped out when the noise was mostly filtered away and the speaker =
got too soft.=A0

James,

I think you are forgetting the analogue stages. We were discussing
"affordable" devices and especially with them and more especially with a mi=
level input, the analogue garbage is well above the 16 bit threshold. The
next bit represents -102dB and what gives that clean an input?

Incidentally, nobody has pointed out my schoolboy mistake in this and my
last message. :-)

Have you tried a 24 bit recording with the same input levels? My guess is
that it will be as noisy from the analogue stages.

Work out the equivalent sound levels that the extra bits represent. They ar=
well below analogue noise levels on any domestic equipment.

On Audacity "Noise Removal" try a bass cut, then parameters 9;500;1.00

The other factor I didn't question was whether a compressor/limiter was
used. This raises any noise level by the degree of compression and is
virtually impossible to remove.

With wildlife recording, you should keep well clear of compressors or
limiters. I've accidentally hit the limiter on close pheasant calls and eac=
peak leaves an unpleasant hole after it which can't be repaired.

David Brinicombe