Re: Question about 44.1 vs 96 kHz

Subject: Re: Question about 44.1 vs 96 kHz
From: madl74
Date: Sun May 31, 2015 5:44 pm ((PDT))
> The files are 16 bit, I hope that's not what you're recording at for the =
originals.=A0 Using 24 bit is soo much better for things that are quiet.

James,

Where are you so quiet that you can hear digital noise at -96dB? OK, a
digitiser adds 2 bits of "random" noise to cover the digital steps but that=

is still -84 dB. Wish I had locations and mics which could produce that, bu=
in my woods I'm very happy with about -60 ambient noise below peak which
isn't often except in a flat calm. Recording at -16 peak, that's still -68=

noise level and well swamped.

The other factor is that an affordable digitiser is nowhere near that good=

in linearity. Next time I find a very quiet background, I'll do the check,=

but I would expect other factors cause the benefit rather than just bit
steps.

> At low sampling rates like 44.1kHz which maxes out at a theoretical 22,05=
0 Hz you miss out on a lot of the soundscape.=A0

I can't hear much above 13KHz at my advanced age, but I do check at half
speed. The Nyquist "mirror" frequency is 22.05KHz, but that means a
digitiser has to start cutting off at 18 or 19KHz. Listening to 44.1
recordings at half or quarter speed does show a difference to a higher rate=
,
but rarely affecting a bird or insect call over normal background noise in=

my experience. It may affect the noise, but the call?

By the time a recording comes out of a loudspeaker it has suffered a series=

of frequency embarrassments and, for most of us, we would not be able to
describe any digital noise, let alone say whether the recording was at 16 o=
24 bits, or 44.1 or 96 rates without an A-B direct comparison. This is the=

difference between hi-fi and reality. :-)

I record long runs and thus amass big files. It is simply more convenient t=
keep file sizes smaller and, only if I could identify specific digitising
noise and effects over natural noise, would I contemplate more bits or
faster sampling. It's called pragmatism. :-) Especially when played via
Soundcloud.

> Most mics are tested for 20Hz to 20kHz (assumed averages of human hearing=
), but they pick up sounds a lot higher than 20kHz.

Here lies the rub. Using affordable gear, I don't want harmonics messing up=

my recordings on affordable recorders and playback machines, so I am happie=
with a 19KHz or so cutoff. This sharp cutoff does produce ultrasonic ringin=
but in practice I've not been able to identify this anomaly.

The big question - is a recording better at 44.1 or 96? It may sound
different, but which sounds better - filtered or unfiltered?

Also it is not generally realised that the HF response of even expensive
mics, even out of a windshield, is very ragged. Published frequency respons=
curves are averaged out using a warble tone. Gunmics are even more ragged,=

and so are the various stereo rigs we use. No names, no packdrill, but try=

testing them with a "random noise" source like compressed air and watch the=

peaks as you move the rig. With such unpromising HF responses, what is
hi-fi?

In a sound treated studio with pro standard digitisers plus bigger money,
wide bit sizes and high sapling rates are called for especially if you want=

to impress the clients, but in the wild, nature does not give us the clean=

sound we would like. I usually use a bass roll-off and have been known to d=
some gentle HF noise reduction, but only in order to present an equivalent=

sound to that filtered and interpreted by my ears and brain. Sound recordin=
is a highly artificial process.

Incidentally I have constructed an "anti-bass rolloff" correction on
Audacity if I ever want the full bass back. At those frequencies and levels=
,
nothing is lost audibly by the matching filters except the risk of bass
overload which sounds horrible.

David Brinicombe

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional