Re: asking for advice

Subject: Re: asking for advice
From: naturalcontemplative
Date: Fri Oct 3, 2014 11:22 am ((PDT))
Beatrice,=0D
=0D
Although the Zoom H2 is a useful recorder on its own (it was the first one =
I bought), I would not recommend the Zoom H2 now because it has a very poor=
 quality (high noise) input for external microphones. If you continue along=
 this path, you will certainly want to start using an external mic, because=
 the sound quality is so much higher, and then you would need a new recorde=
r because the H2 just couldn't handle it. I think it is better to start wit=
h a recorder that will give your interest and skill room to grow.=0D
=0D
As Zach Poff's list states, the Sony PCM-M10 and the Roland R-05 are very g=
ood recorders that will also work well with a variety of good-quality exter=
nal microphones. Their only drawback is that they have a rather poor stereo=
 image when used with their internal microphones. Nothing is perfect!=0D
=0D
If you can get an Olympus LS-11 or LS-5 I think these are wonderful little =
recorders. They are superior to the current LS-12 and LS-14 in several ways=
. The LS-11 (nearly identical to the LS-5) is my primary recorder and I am =
very happy with it, both for use of the internal mics and for use with high=
-quality external mics.=0D
=0D
The LS-5 is not available in the US and Canada but may be available in Euro=
pe.=0D
=0D
Have fun!=0D
=0D
John=0D
=0D
John Crockett=0D
Westminster, Vermont=0D
 =0D
=0D
---In  <> wrote :=0D
=0D
 Hi Beatrice, =0D
=0D
 I know you will get much better advice than this for much better equipment=
, but my advice is to start small ($) and wait to find out what needs to be=
 better before investing too much.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I would buy an Zoom H2 (~$110 ebay) and a  pair of Sony MDR-J10 earphones =
($20 Radio Shack online?)=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Put the Zoom recorder in your shirt pocket, earphones in the ears and have=
 at it.  Lots of fun.  You'll be able to hear birds that your natural heari=
ng can not. And you will be able to record the sounds for later investigati=
on.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Good luck,=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Bob McLean,=0D
 Sonoma, CA=0D
 =0D
=0D
 =0D
 On Oct 2, 2014, at 10:54 PM, beatrice yannacopoulos  ya=
 [naturerecordists] wrote:=0D
=0D
   =0D
=0D
  =0D
 Hi, Bernie Krause suggested I join this group after I wrote to him asking =
for advice about recording devices. I am a complete novice, but very eager =
to learn. I was hoping to get advice on what is a good recoding device to g=
et me started, so I can start to get a feel for it. Any nudges in the right=
 direction will be greatly appreciated. I am writing to you from Athens, Gr=
eece.=0D
 Thank you,=0D
 =0D
 Beatrice Yannacopoulos=0D