Re: Making Ourselves Heard

Subject: Re: Making Ourselves Heard
From: "Gianni Pavan" gpavan1960
Date: Fri Oct 3, 2014 11:01 am ((PDT))
Hi Rob and David,
     unfortunately many people, and technicians too, misuse dB(A), e.g. to
demonstrate that wind turbines produce "acceptable" noise, but not
considering that low frequency pressure changes are not perceived by ears
but are perceived more by the whole body, as for the lowest octaves of a
church organ, producing very annoying effects.

Noise can have an impact on our health, it is demonstrated that noise
affects cardio-vascular diseases. And an increasing number of studies
demonstrates the negative impact of noise on animals.

I think it is now important to declare that a good environmental status is
also based on a good soundscape around us. The buzzing electric lines are
annoying, and I think it is important to say that we don't want to live in
an environment affected by noise everywhere, coming car traffic, airplanes,
electric lines. Whenever possible these sources of noise should be limited
or modified to be quieter. In Italy many power lines are being buried to
preserve beautiful landscapes. I some case we should do the same to
preserve the quietness of beautiful  soundscapes where we can enjoy silence
and nature sounds together.

the concept of wilderness, also includes the concept of quietness, intended
as no presence of anthropogeinc noises. In US "wilderness" is an important
concept, if I'm not wrong, this concept was "created" in US with the very
first national parks. Maybe you can use this "concept" to trigger attention
on the problem you mention.

Also, a review of literature about the impact of noise on human health
could help.

Gianni

--
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universit=C3=A0 degli Studi di Pavia

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: