Re: Variations in Neutrik 3.5mm connector prices

Subject: Re: Variations in Neutrik 3.5mm connector prices
From: madl74
Date: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:15 am ((PDT))
Sticking my nose into this conversation, two noise sources I can immediatel=
think of are mains hum and/or digital noise pickup from an unscreened
plastic plug which would be worse on an open ended cable.

If the socket was carrying PIP, it is unlikely that there would be leakage=

from signal to screen, but with non gold plated plugs there could be a smal=
layer of oxide between the plug and socket which could generate voltage
noise from any current passing through.

You can also get noise when the plug is moved across varying electrochemica=
potentials between oxides and metal which can cause crackle. With gold
plated plugs, a little gold transfers to the socket connection and improves=

the ohmic contact.

With XLR plugs, there is a "blade" structure which breaks through oxide
layers, giving a more reliable contact than a sliding 3.5mm connection..

David Brinicombe