Re: Variations in Neutrik 3.5mm connector prices

Subject: Re: Variations in Neutrik 3.5mm connector prices
From: madl74
Date: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:42 am ((PDT))
> The metal connectors inside tend to bend easily when the cable is moved a=
round much and causes shorts.

Chad,

The trick I use with all miniature plugs which also keeps stray strands fro=
shorting is to put a blob of glues or silicon sealant over the solderwork.=

It is often not practical to rewire a used plug anyway, but it encourages
the plug to last longer. I also much prefer gold plated 3.5mm jacks - less=

crackle if moved.

For larger plugs I swear by heatshrink tubing, available in many colours an=
sizes, for neatening up the back end of plugs and also to extend the cable=

grip as with XLR's a few more inches down the cable. With small cables, you=

tend to get a kink where the XLR grip ends. I've got three long cable drums=

which are colour coded with bands of heatshrink over the XLR's denoting L
and R and drum ID as in yellow/red and yellow/green. I'm also still finding=

new uses for 4:1 ratio adhesive lined heatshrink like joining hosepipes.

I found a cheap thermostatically controlled paintstripper gun which is idea=
for heatchrinking.

David Brinicombe

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional