Re: My first offering for review and criticism......

Subject: Re: My first offering for review and criticism......
From: rock_scallop
Date: Thu May 29, 2014 9:38 am ((PDT))
Hi Norman,

I think you are on the right track.
Those mics will prove best for louder soundscapes, and I think you got it right
with this one.  There is noticeable hiss in this recording at normal listening
levels, but I think a little EQ might remedy that.  Try listening to a section
from earlier in the morning when things are all quiet: can you amplify it
enough to appreciate the natural ambiance or does the mic hiss overwhelm.  This
might help understand some limitations of this setup.
It is hard to say with out further experimentation if this microphone
configuration will give consistent results. Try a walk around test to help
understand the polar response.

I have a similar configuration with the MX391/O mounted on the sides of a foam
soccer ball. It seems to have a noticeable hole in the center. Of course that
does not mean it is a bad configuration, but just a limitation that must be
considered when choosing an appropriate recording site.  I am not saying your
setup has this same limitation, but there is a chance it was only luck you had
it positioned with strong sounds in the center.

I am not committed to recording from ground level like David B is, in truth it
only gives better results than tripod height in very specific instances. It is
a trade off of limitations, which worked well for you in this instance.

I noticed road traffic noise fairly constantly throughout the recording. If
that was not your intention, then next time plan to find a location at least a
few miles from busy roads, and scrutinize the section more thoroughly  when
selecting for compositions.

Thanks for sharing,

John Hartog
rockscallop.org
Portland, Oregon

... and as far as using Filemail.com for delivery, I agree with others - ditch
it, it sucks.