Re: My first offering for review and criticism......

Subject: Re: My first offering for review and criticism......
From: madl74
Date: Mon May 26, 2014 6:44 pm ((PDT))
>  And that's the thing, I was "planning" on recording a thunder storm, so =
I set everything very low. There was no thunder storm so I took the kit hom=
e thinking I had nothing to show for the effort and risk.

>  On the computer, the recording was very low. I tried giving it all a 20d=
B lift. To my surprise it came to life quite well. Luckily, I'd used 24bit =
(44.1k). I don't always do that. My computer struggles with high data rate =
files and I get frustrated too much with the jobs of topping and tailing an=
d finishing things.

>  So, here it is. Please be gentle with me :)

Norman,

Its in the early hours but I thought I had to have a listen. It's a huge
file so I've only listened to the first 5 minutes. I'm going to break it
into sections before I listen to more.

It's not good, it's excellent. I'm often a bit dubious about dummy heads,
but this one worked well.

Technical stuff first. I always advocate recording low as you can't undo
overloads and sounds hitting the digital limiter. Minus 20 is often OK even=

with 16 bits, but try it for yourself. That's the magic of digital. As long=

as you see the level meter moving a bit, you can bring it up later.
Experiment to see how low you can record and get it back later without
attracting added gravel.

My other regular nag on this list is to try putting the mic rig on the
ground but you have done this already. Many recordists are fixated on mic
stands, but they are for performers. There are exceptions, but I always try=

the ground first.

Mic hiss can't be avoided, but I can give tips on reducing this (I use
Audacity)

I usually record with a bass roll-off. If you want deep bass later, you can=

equalise it back with no loss, but if you get wind or other bass
interference, it can overload, even when recording low, and bass overloads=

are disastrous.

Now for the bird music. As it was a dummy head recording, I've only listene=
on headphones so far, but the meters show there is good volume stereo as
well as time difference stereo. When it works, a dummy head gives you both=

worlds.

There are close birds and distant birds and everything in between. There is=

a good wildlife ambience, presumably from trees and depth of distance which=

I have been mouldering on about lately, from close wings to distant country=

sounds.

I fuss around with crossed Sennheiser gunmics but if you can get this with =
dummy head, I'm overdoing it. :-)

Want more.

David Brinicombe

<*> Your email settings: