Fostex FR-2LE ?

Subject: Fostex FR-2LE ?
From: 0baab721da7a44b681a601f17c9bf564
Date: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:09 pm ((PDT))
Hi there,=0D
 =0D
 I have been a passive member of the group since I joined in, a couple of m=
onths ago. As this is my first post, I find it in order to give a short int=
roduction of myself before asking any questions. I have no background in so=
und/field recording and stumbled into this field more or less by accident. =
I have been interested in photography for many years, or to be more specifi=
c in landscape and wildlife photography, but only recently have I started t=
o be more active in picture taking. I am getting more and more interested i=
n bird photography and this has led into an interest in bird songs and fiel=
d recording in general. Hence I would appreciate some comments/suggestions =
from the community regarding what field recorder to buy. I am willing to pa=
y about usd 600-800 for a field recorder, this is not a hard set limit. I m=
ay pay more if the difference is worth it. =0D
  =0D
 I currently live in Norway, but as both my wife and I are from Brazil we a=
re often visiting Brazil. Hence the equipment should cope well with extreme=
 cold (down to -20C) as well as extreme heat and humidity (>40C).=0D
  =0D
 In addition to recording bird call and some ambient soundscapes I may use =
the recorder to record some family =E2=80=9Cbiography=E2=80=9D. i.e. get th=
e older generation of my family and my wife=E2=80=99s family to tell storie=
s of their childhood and upbring and other events. My wife works as a theat=
er performer and it may be interesting to be able to record several inputs,=
 but this is a low priority feature. =0D
  =0D
 I was doing some research on field recorders and kind of made my mind up t=
hat I should buy the Fostex FR-2LE. =0D
  =0D
 A couple of weeks ago I contacted the Norwegian Fostex distributor and inq=
uired about the price of the Fostex FR-2LE. The Norwegian distributor told =
me that they no longer sold the above mentioned recorder and suggested that=
 I buy the Zoom H6 recorder, without asking me for my intended use. As I wa=
s about to spend Easter in the Netherlands I contacted the Dutch distributo=
r and asked for the price of the Fostex. I was told that delivery time was =
over 7 weeks.  I have therefore began to wonder if the Fostex FR-2LE is a g=
ood choice or not. I would therefore greatly appreciate any advice regardin=
g this recorder and alternative recorders.=0D
  =0D
 Best regards=0D
  =0D
 Paulo Rocha =0D