Re: Zoom H6 & NT55 vs PMD 661 & NT1-a

Subject: Re: Zoom H6 & NT55 vs PMD 661 & NT1-a
From: natureguyusa
Date: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:00 am ((PDT))
Concerning the Rode NT1-A microphones, I have used them for around 5 years.=
 John Crockett is correct, they do have issues with moisture and wind. Thes=
e microphones are designed for studio use, and not outdoor environments. Bu=
t, if you work around the issues, you can have really nice low noise microp=
hones for recording the outside world. For me, low noise equipment is param=
ount for recording nature sounds. I used the stock shock mounts and rigged =
them on an aluminum bar, mounted to a tripod and never noticed issues with =
shock noise.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 The moisture issues generally only occur in high humidity conditions, like=
 fog, but I had issues in the warmer early mornings after camping overnight=
. What happens is moisture condenses on the elements and you will hear popp=
ing or the mic just goes dead. Not a great thing to happen when you are in =
the middle of a recording session. If it happens, the microphones need to b=
e dried out. My solution was to install heaters on the microphones to raise=
 the temperature enough to not allow condensation. I wrote about it on a bl=
og a while back, http://www.natureguystudio.com/blog/2012/07/17/rode-nt1-a/=
. The heaters work best if you have the microphones covered with the multip=
le windscreens for insulation. I hope the blog helps anyone wanting to use =
the NT1-A's in the field. =0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 As for the wind issues, I assembled a multi-chamber windscreen using some =
long hair fur fabric. Unfortunately the fabric source is no longer in busin=
ess. It had a nice open fabric backing that is pretty sound transparent. I =
used the stock windscreen and covered it with 2-inch long hair, fur fabric.=
 I then constructed a light bulb shaped structure to fit around the shape o=
f the microphone by soldering some 12 gauge solid wire (house wiring) toget=
her, attaching it to the microphone base with a hose clamp. This structure =
is spaced by about 2-inches from the microphone windscreen and doesn't touc=
h the 2-inch long hair fabric. I then covered the bulb structure with anoth=
er layer of fur fabric. I found I needed to give the 2-inch fur a hair cut =
to about an inch, because the long hair sounded like recording in tall gras=
s in the wind. This windscreen stopped all issues with wind to around 15-20=
MPH wind. Anything more than that and wind noise in the surrounding area ov=
erwhelms anything else anyway.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 With the Rode NT1-A's you will never have an issue with self noise other t=
han from your recorder. I would highly recommend the Marantz PMD661, Olympu=
s LS-100, or Sound Devices 702 for the lowest noise recordings. You might b=
e able to use other recorders using their line in, or digital in with a qua=
lity -125dB or lower EIN microphone preamp. =0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Bruce Rutkoski=0D
 Owner=0D
 www.wildtronics.com, Professional, Affordable Parabolic Microphones=0D
 www.natureguystudio.com, nature recordings  =0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
---In  <> =
wrote:=0D
=0D
 Hi Johan =0D
=0D
 Welcome to the wonderful world of nature sound recording. I hope someone w=
ho uses the NT1A will chime in here, because although they are very quiet, =
I believe they also can be sensitive to moisture and take a lot of work to =
create an effective portable shock mount. I'd do more research if I were yo=
u.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 You might look here if you have not already:=0D
 =0D
=0D
 https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-reports/Rode_NT1-A_Mics/NT1-A_i=
ndex.htm https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-reports/Rode_NT1-A_Mics=
/NT1-A_index.htm=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I do own and use the NT4 extensively. It is very portable and useable, but=
 certainly not the quietest microphone (16 dB SPL compared to 5.5 dB for th=
e NT1A). I use it a lot because it is easy to grab and carry. The NT4 tends=
 to gather sounds that are near center into the center, so it is not as spa=
tially accurate as other options, but works very well for me in cases where=
 I want a stereo image but also a prominent center focus. But its main chal=
lenge is that it is very sensitive to wind (wind protection is critical no =
matter what mic you are using). It's almost unusable outside without a blim=
p except in a dead calm. You might be able to make a fur cover for the stan=
dard foam wind screen that comes with the microphone, but it would have to =
cover the back side of the mic array. I bought a fur cover from Windcutter,=
 but it was slightly open at the back, and totally useless as a result.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I prefer to use an array based on Rob Danielson's PBB2N. You might also wa=
nt to look at Curt Olson's page for some DIY array ideas=0D
 =0D
=0D
 http://www.trackseventeen.com/mic_rigs.html http://www.trackseventeen.com/=
mic_rigs.html=0D
 =0D
=0D
 These tend to be used with AT 3032/AT4022 mics, but can also be adapted fo=
r use with other mics. Arrays can also be made with inexpensive Primo EM172=
 mic capsules (which is what I have). I would say this is the best bang for=
 the buck. For $30 (2 mic capsules and a foam yoga block) you can make an a=
rray that will give very satisfying results. Take a look at Vicki Powys' si=
te=0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 http://www.caperteebirder.com/index.php?p=3D1_30_recording-gear-3 http://w=
ww.caperteebirder.com/index.php?p=3D1_30_recording-gear-3=0D
 =0D
=0D
 You'll also find lots of boundary mic information here:=0D
 =0D
=0D
 http://diystereoboundarymics.blogspot.com http://diystereoboundarymics.blo=
gspot.com/=0D
 =0D
=0D
 My comment on the H6 is that it hasn't been used enough in nature recordin=
g to know for certain how well it performs, but the published specs are not=
 impressive.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Good luck!=0D
 =0D
=0D
 John=0D
 =0D
=0D
 =0D
 John Crockett=0D
 Westminster, VT=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Let us live in harmony with Earth=0D
 And all creatures=0D
 That our lives may be a blessing=0D
 =0D
=0D
 On Oct 23, 2013, at 10:13 AM, < > wrote=
:=0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Hello again. =0D
 I just got a call from another retailer and he recomended a NT4 for stereo=
 recording, saying that the NT1-a probally wasnt the best choice for nature=
 recordings, due to the sensitivity and the short range of recording. Any t=
houghts? =0D
 =0D
=0D
---In  =
com, <> wrote:=0D
=0D
 Hi!=0D
 I ordered a Marantz PMD 661 MKII the other day which I was going to use wi=
th two R=C3=B6de NT1-a for recordings. Today I called a shop for opinions b=
ut they instead recomended a Zoom H6 and use the internal mic with a R=C3=
=B6de NT55. I've done a lot of reading these past days and I'm not sure I w=
ill be happy with that set, though I have not seen many reviews or thougths=
 about the Zoom H6.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I have no experience at all with recording but I've found some great setup=
s using the NT1-a. In time I will buy a Telinga mic for more direct sound b=
ut at the moment I want to record the nature as a whole.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 So, what do you think? Should I return the Marantz and replace it with H6 =
using the NT55 or should I go for what I first was going to, the PMD 661 wi=
th a pair of NT1-a?=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Thanks. Johan.=0D