Re: Zoom H6 & NT55 vs PMD 661 & NT1-a

Subject: Re: Zoom H6 & NT55 vs PMD 661 & NT1-a
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:40 am ((PDT))
Hi Johan

Welcome to the wonderful world of nature sound recording. I hope
someone who uses the NT1A will chime in here, because although they
are very quiet, I believe they also can be sensitive to moisture and
take a lot of work to create an effective portable shock mount. I'd
do more research if I were you.

You might look here if you have not already:

https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-reports/Rode_NT1-A_Mics/
NT1-A_index.htm

I do own and use the NT4 extensively. It is very portable and
useable, but certainly not the quietest microphone (16 dB SPL
compared to 5.5 dB for the NT1A). I use it a lot because it is easy
to grab and carry. The NT4 tends to gather sounds that are near
center into the center, so it is not as spatially accurate as other
options, but works very well for me in cases where I want a stereo
image but also a prominent center focus. But its main challenge is
that it is very sensitive to wind (wind protection is critical no
matter what mic you are using). It's almost unusable outside without
a blimp except in a dead calm. You might be able to make a fur cover
for the standard foam wind screen that comes with the microphone, but
it would have to cover the back side of the mic array. I bought a fur
cover from Windcutter, but it was slightly open at the back, and
totally useless as a result.

I prefer to use an array based on Rob Danielson's PBB2N. You might
also want to look at Curt Olson's page for some DIY array ideas

http://www.trackseventeen.com/mic_rigs.html

These tend to be used with AT 3032/AT4022 mics, but can also be
adapted for use with other mics. Arrays can also be made with
inexpensive Primo EM172 mic capsules (which is what I have). I would
say this is the best bang for the buck. For $30 (2 mic capsules and a
foam yoga block) you can make an array that will give very satisfying
results. Take a look at Vicki Powys' site

http://www.caperteebirder.com/index.php?p=3D1_30_recording-gear-3

You'll also find lots of boundary mic information here:

http://diystereoboundarymics.blogspot.com/

My comment on the H6 is that it hasn't been used enough in nature
recording to know for certain how well it performs, but the published
specs are not impressive.

Good luck!

John

John Crockett