Re: Zoom H6 & NT55 vs PMD 661 & NT1-a

Subject: Re: Zoom H6 & NT55 vs PMD 661 & NT1-a
From: rock_scallop
Date: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:15 pm ((PDT))
Hi Johan,=0D
Chiming in on the NT1A at John Crockett's request. =0D
I have used the same pair of NT1A's as my primary microphone for about ten =
years. I have also used a pair of AT3032 extensively for nearly as long. As=
 far as moisture issues the NT1A has seemed to be no worse than the AT3032.=
  The NT1A sometimes acts up in the cool of the morning as the temperature =
drops below dew point and condensation issues become more likely. The AT303=
2 is more likely to act up when first turned on, but then stabilizing after=
 a while of running. Such problems are relatively rare, and I have run both=
 mics continuously on multiple-day sessions through periods of rain and sno=
w without any issues. I have not used either in tropical humidity, so canno=
t speak to that.=0D
=0D
Both microphones are pretty sensitive to wind, so wind protection is a chal=
lenge for either.  =0D
=0D
The NT1A is very sensitive to physical vibrations, so that any shaking of t=
he tripod due to wind or anything must be avoided. My NT1A array is  heavy.=
 This makes isolating them from vibrations all the more difficult because t=
hey will make most tripods top heavy and prone to oscillations.  I have not=
 found this an issue with the AT3032.=0D
  =0D
 For shock mounts for the NT1A I just use the stock ones that came with the=
m. I replaced the elastic bands with thin rubber o-rings which seemed to ma=
ke a difference. That shock mount model, SM1 I believe, was discontinued so=
me time ago. =0D
=0D
=0D
Though I have reinvented my baffled array design several times since I last=
 updated this old web page, it still shows my basic approach:=0D
http://rockscallop.org/how/barrier10.html=0D
=0D
Any questions, feel free to ask.=0D
John=0D