Re: What has the lowest Noise Floor for an all in one recorder?

Subject: Re: What has the lowest Noise Floor for an all in one recorder?
From: dsecomb2
Date: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:29 pm ((PDT))
Hi Keven=0D
 How do you get 16hrs of recording with a D50. I thought the 4 hours was th=
e maximum continuous recording time or is this different when using a compa=
ct disk?=0D
 As for as internal mics, I'm happy with the D50 internal mics which I use =
when on holidays. I get better results using external mic's. A pair of Teli=
nga EM 23's are small, light, simple using PIP and will record for hours=0D
 Cheers=0D
 David   =0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
---In  <> =
wrote:=0D
=0D
 I use a pair of PCM D50s for field recordings.  They've been doing great f=
or years.  I also have a PCM D1 that is very fickle, sometimes gives out on=
 me, and is not my favorite.  (Anyone want to buy a D-1?)  With a 16gig dis=
k and 4 new AA batteries I can leave the D50 recorder out in the evening an=
d retrieve it the next day with 16 hours of sounds.  I purchased a square f=
oot of microphone foam and cut and super-glued it into a D50 sized box.  I =
slide the recorder into this foam box for wind protection and cover the who=
le thing with some thin fake fur.  This cuts most wind noise but not high w=
inds.  It also doesn't eliminate raindrop pounding sounds if rain strikes t=
he recorder.  For good sounds in the rain you will need to have something a=
bove that will not make weird sounds when struck by rain which will also pr=
otect the recorder completely from the water. =0D
=0D
 I'm currently working on frogs and toads.  The D50 works well if placed 1-=
4 meters from the sound source, although it captures sounds from further aw=
ay.  Place your recorder to capture a nice stereo ambience if possible.  I =
tend to set the record level at 6-7, then boost it further in the studio if=
 needed.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I used to have three recorders but one disappeared one night along the Mex=
ican border.  I suppose a coyote or immigrant walked off with it in the nig=
ht.  You might need to find ways to hide or camo your equipment, putting it=
 into stealth mode. =0D
=0D
 Kevin Colver=0D
 =0D
=0D
 =0D
 On Oct 20, 2013, at 6:25 PM,  =
. wrote:=0D
=0D
   Anyone know what all-in-one recorder has the lowest noise floor which ca=
n be used for pro-audio?=0D
=0D
I am a one man team when comes to recording. I don't have the luxury to spe=
nd a lot of time setting up my equipment and carrying a lot of extra gear. =
A tripod, batteries, the recorder, and some sort of wind screen is all I am=
 usually able to bring. I record low ambient sounds and noises in nature, c=
ities, and anywhere else I am lead too. =0D
=0D
I currently have been using an Olympus LS-100 with it's on-board mics, I th=
ink the recordings mostly turn out well, but am hoping to find something wi=
th even less noise for recording.=0D
=0D
I know most here are familiar with the reviews from wingfieldaudio.com http=
://wingfieldaudio.com. The Sony PCM D50 currently is listed as the lowest n=
oise all-in-one recorder. Problem, this recorder is already 5 years old and=
 has already hit it's end of life support from Sony, but if it's the best f=
or this class then it will have to do.=0D
=0D
I know the Sony PCM D100 is out in other places then the US, but at a $1000=
 or more, it's too much out of my price range at this time. =0D
=0D
I know Zoom isn't known for quite recordings, but anyone know anything abou=
t the Zoom h6 with it's on board X/Y mics? Zoom claims the H6 now has an "u=
ltra" low noise preamp, but I have yet to see any data to prove or dis-prov=
e this. The Upside is the H6 is a new model and has room for me to grow wit=
h XLR connectors in the future if I ever go in that direction.=0D
=0D
I appreciate anyone's thought's or opinions to this.=0D
 =0D
 =0D
 =0D
=0D