Re: What has the lowest Noise Floor for an all in one recorder?

Subject: Re: What has the lowest Noise Floor for an all in one recorder?
From: ambient_jungle
Date: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:06 pm ((PDT))
That is correct, I am looking to use a device with it's internal mics, this way
it keeps setting up to a very bare minimum, easier to stealth, and lighter to
carry around. I know going with a multi-device recorder will sport me a lower
sound noise, but it's just not something I can always use when I am out
recording in the field.

 I've tested the M10 and even have a video on Youtube comparing it to the LS-11
and as mentioned it's stereo field is poor.

 The LS-100 is okay, but I believe the D-50 would let me record even quieter
noises or so I think it will.

---In  <>
wrote:

 Do you mean lowest noise using the built-in microphones?

 I believe the Sony PCM-M10 wins on that score, but they are omnis so the
stereo image is poor-to-nonexistent. noise is 17 dBSPL(A).

 I believe the PCM-D50 comes in second, at 20dBSPL(A). These are the figures
published by Sony.

 I have compared my LS-11 built-ins to other mics I have, and my best estimate
is that they come in at around 21 -22 dBSPL.

 I don't know exactly where the LS-100 falls, but I wonder whether you are
going to get much better than the LS-100 if you are looking for cardioid
built-in mics.

 A decent external mic improves things by leaps and bounds. It seems to me that
is a much better investment than another all-in-one recorder.

 The published noise data on the H6 preamps is -120 dBu, which is hardly
"ultra" low noise.

 Published specs don't trump field experience, but that's all I have to offer!

 John

 John Crockett
 Westminster, VT

 Let us live in harmony with the Earth