Re: What has the lowest Noise Floor for an all in one recorder?

Subject: Re: What has the lowest Noise Floor for an all in one recorder?
From: "Kevin Colver" kjcolver
Date: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:47 pm ((PDT))
I use a pair of PCM D50s for field recordings.  They've been doing great for
years.  I also have a PCM D1 that is very fickle, sometimes gives out on me,
and is not my favorite.  (Anyone want to buy a D-1?)  With a 16gig disk and 4
new AA batteries I can leave the D50 recorder out in the evening and retrieve
it the next day with 16 hours of sounds.  I purchased a square foot of
microphone foam and cut and super-glued it into a D50 sized box.  I slide the
recorder into this foam box for wind protection and cover the whole thing with
some thin fake fur.  This cuts most wind noise but not high winds.  It also
doesn't eliminate raindrop pounding sounds if rain strikes the recorder.  For
good sounds in the rain you will need to have something above that will not
make weird sounds when struck by rain which will also protect the recorder
completely from the water.

I'm currently working on frogs and toads.  The D50 works well if placed 1-4
meters from the sound source, although it captures sounds from further away.
Place your recorder to capture a nice stereo ambience if possible.  I tend to
set the record level at 6-7, then boost it further in the studio if needed.

I used to have three recorders but one disappeared one night along the Mexican
border.  I suppose a coyote or immigrant walked off with it in the night.  You
might need to find ways to hide or camo your equipment, putting it into stealth
mode.

Kevin Colver