Re: playback level

Subject: Re: playback level
From: "rock_scallop" rock_scallop
Date: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:29 am ((PDT))
Hi Robin,
While what you say is true regarding the value of a good pair of headphones,
and reading that makes me want to invest in some really nice ones, I think the
improvement in being able to listen to quiet material closer to its natural
level is typically only slight. Sure one can get closer to it with models of
headphones that are rated for the highest isolation, but those are not known
for comfort. Nonetheless the tendency will still be to turn up the volume to a
point where some subtleties of the played sounds come through over the
background noise, so I might as well master for that. Only a very lucky few
have access to very quiet playback listening environments.

John Hartog
rockscallop.org