Re: playback level

Subject: Re: playback level
From: "Magnus Bergsson" icelandnature
Date: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:00 pm ((PDT))
I am agree with you both Dan and Arn=FE=F3r.
But sometimes I ask me this question because nature sound can be so
different between countries, like Iceland and New Zealand for examble.
It is hard for me to explain this in English, but I will try.
I normally record at 50-55dBSPL. It is probably just psychical, but I think
it is the limit of most preamps before they start to increase the noise
more than audible sound.
In post I often increase the level, it depends what kind of nature
recording it is. If I "normalize" the level of the recording it is more
likely that usual listener with usual audio equipment will be satisfied
with the recording
My favorite nature recording places are so quiet I hardly hear nothing, so
I am afraid I will not hear much if I play it at the "same level" in usual
audio equipment
For my ears sensitive/low noise microphones works like a binocular. They
drag far distance and low level sound source closer to the normal level. In
fact they compress all sounds sources. They tighten, or flatten out the
depth of the sound field .
Therefore is it hard to get natural feeling while listen to nature
recordings in all audio equipment. But because of this "binocular effect"
it can be very interesting to listen to the smallest details behind the
"normal sound level" in the recording. It is like to have super hearing. It
is possible til "investigate" the recording with full attention several
times because there are so many things that you can not hear with bare ear
in the field.  It does not sound natural, but instead it can sometimes
sounds like a music, played by Mother nature orchestra

If I like to get in relaxed mood with this same nature recording, I just
play it at lower level.

Bestu kve=F0jur / Best regards
*Magn=FAs Bergsson
*Tel: + 354 6162904*
*
http://fieldrecording.net

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:07 AM, Arn=FE=F3r Helgason <
> wrote:

> **
>

> I usually listen to these recording in the way that they make me feel
> confartable. Sometimes I turn the volume up in order to capture some
> technical and distant details.
>
> Arnthor
>
> =DEann 11.8.2013 23:16, skrifa=F0i Grant Finlay:
>

> > Just wondering,
> > How do you guys/gals listen back to "nature" recordings level wise?
> > I'm just toying with the idea of a line up tone for my tracks that are
> > for sale, mainly because many people listen too loud and destroy the
> > "feeling" of the recording. After all, many locations I record are
> > around 40-50dBSPL and should not be played back at "pop music" levels.
> >
> > Sure, I do tend to master the quieter records at a lower volume but
> > knowing many use earbuds and/or listen back on laptops in less then
> > ideal ambient conditions, this isn't always ideal. These days I'm
> > putting a note on the album, "turn the volume down for the best
> > experience".
> >
> > Are we (in general) listening too loud to nature recordings?
> > Just wanting to start a discussion.
> >
> > Apologies if it's been mentioned recently, I've been away for a while.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Grant.
> > http://naturesounds.co.nz

<*> Your email settings: