Re: playback level

Subject: Re: playback level
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:00 pm ((PDT))
True, but I think listeners also need reminding that they'll hear more with=
 headphones. When I first got into this stuff and started listening to reco=
rdings posted here, and later to my own first recordings, I was listening v=
ia PC speakers. I had no idea for a long time what a difference it would ma=
ke.=0D
=0D
Peter Shute=0D
=0D
Sent from my iPad=0D
=0D
On 18/08/2013, at 1:10 AM, "Robin" <<=
nparmar.com>> wrote:=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D
John Hartog wrote:=0D
=0D
> There is probably a fairly narrow range of levels that work well for a ty=
pical home listening environment. The material has to be loud enough to be =
enjoyed over the background noise of the listening environment, and quiet e=
nough not to be disturbing.=0D
>=0D
=0D
I posit that we are in an advantageous position regarding listening in this=
 millennium, for the simple reason that the vast majority of end-users audi=
tion with headphones.=0D
=0D
While these transducers are of varying quality, it is much easier to afford=
 excellent headphones (a couple hundred clams) than good speakers plus room=
 treatment (several thousand or tens of thousands of clams). Lately, consum=
ers have shown a willingness to spend the necessary money on good cans. Yes=
, unfortunately they are misguided and succumb to Dr. DRE or some such mark=
eting rubbish, but nonetheless the potential is there. Compare this to how =
many listeners (now or in the past) treat and isolate their rooms -- close =
to zero percent!=0D
=0D
Besides fidelity, headphone listening provides larger dynamic range, exclud=
ing foreign sounds (depending on the headphone type of course). This gives =
nature recordists the latitude to be true to their source. By which I mean =
we do not have to use compression, amplitude boosting, etc. in order for li=
steners to actually hear the source material above their environment.=0D
=0D
Thirdly, the difference between stereo and binaural listening translates in=
to the immersive experience consumers want from their media (film, game, mu=
sic) in the 21st century.=0D
=0D
I would argue that the rise of headphone culture is directly responsible fo=
r the rise in interest in environmental recordings that we have seen in the=
 last couple of decades. (In fact, this leads into my thesis work.)._,___=
=0D

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: