Re: Digital Compression - was New SSM

Subject: Re: Digital Compression - was New SSM
From: "Robin" robin_parmar_sound
Date: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:55 pm ((PDT))

David Brinicombe wrote:

> My prejudices were showing. :-) Having recorded
> music on and off for nearly three decades
> professionally, I don't regard the end product
> comparable to live music.

That's as may be, but to deliberately downgrade a recording with low bit ra=
te compression seems wilfully perverse!

> Cleaned and polished digital recordings are
> manipulated to death.

Digital has nothing to do with this, but rather the production standards ap=
plied. If anything, digital has given us far more in the way of sonic optio=
ns than the analogue delivery methods that required significant compromises=
 in recording, mixing, and mastering. (Context: I trained on open reel tape=
 thirty years ago.)

> They make a happy noise but are they music?

Both, hopefully.

> Have you listened to a rock group with the
> technology switched off?

Sure. I have also listened to an orchestra with their technology (e.g. thei=
r instruments) turned off (that is, not playing). Sometimes I even prefer t=
hat sound.

> Which is "real" - live or processed? :-)

It's all real. That is the great secret. ;-)

-- Robin Parmar

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: