Re: Sony M10 pip vs Mixpre-D

Subject: Re: Sony M10 pip vs Mixpre-D
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:04 am ((PDT))
Hi Anders

In theory there should be no audible difference between the Mixpre and the =
PCM-M10 when used with the EM172s. The noise you are hearing is coming from=
 the microphones, not the preamps.

To get a significantly lower noise floor you need quieter, more expensive, =
phantom powered microphones like the MKH 20 or the AT 4022. For the money, =
the EM172s are pretty good!

My own experiments have shown no improvement using different battery voltag=
es. Your 9 volt battery box should be fine, although I think you could redu=
ce the resistor value a step or two (6.8k or 5.6k - I'm using 6.8k) to give=
 the mic capsules a little more voltage and current. That won't likely redu=
ce the hiss any, however. At least I did not find it to make much differenc=
e.

John Crockett

naturalcontemplative.com

--- In  "kronseth" <> =
wrote:

> Thanks for feedback everyone!
> I too have a feeling, as John says, the Mixpre-D won=B4t help the selfnoi=
se of the system. Running some tests, it seems there is no apparent noise u=
ntil I reach twelve-one o=B4clock on the Mixpre
> when it shows up at about -112 db in Spoundtracks spectrum. I guess that=
=B4s fairly goood and as low I can expect on this cheap setup.For everythin=
g, except those dead-quiet recordings, it is more that sufficient.
> I=B4ll do some more tests with a different voltage, and see if that helps=
.
> Thanks again!
>
> --- In  "rock_scallop"<john_hartog@> wro=
te:

> > Hi Anders,
> > I have a feeling, based on some experience with the combination, the EM=
172's and the PCM M10 are a pretty good match - fairly balanced noise wise.=
 The use of a separate preamp will not help with the mic self noise of the =
EM172, as is evidenced by your tests with the Mix-pre. Would using quieter =
mics with the Mix-pre into the PCM M10 be practical or would the M10 input =
noise compromise any benefits?

 wrote:

> > > Hello again!
> > > I=B4m back with another amateur issue:-)
> > > I recently purchased a PCM M10, and I=B4m currently using the EM172=
=B4s, wich I guess most of you are familiar with. I=B4ve been recording rea=
lly quiet soundcapes,(no traffic for miles, mainly distant sounds etc.) wit=
h the the mics feeding the recorder directly into the Mic-in on the M10. Af=
ter some experimenting I figured maybe I could put my Mixpre-D in front of =
it, to squeeze out som more hiss-free dbs.
> > > Been running the capsules from a stereo diy battery-box, (9v battery,=
 1 uf capacitor, 10k resistor), into the Mixpre, and the from the Mixpre-D =
(tried both the xlr=B4s and the tape-out). Tried both line-ins and mic-in h=
ere. In these circumstances the hiss from the Mixpre comes apparent when di=
aled beyond 12 o=B4clock.
> > > I=B4ve tried calibrated the M10 to -20 from the tone-generator of the=
 Mixpre.
> > > I=B4m starting to suspect that running the EM172=B4s directly into th=
e mic-in on the M10, at low sensitivity and a bit of gain is as quiet I can=
 come with this setup, leaving out the Mixpre all together. Anyone has any =
input or experience with this?