Re: Most useful microphones for nature recording.

Subject: Re: Most useful microphones for nature recording.
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Fri Mar 8, 2013 2:39 pm ((PST))
> David, you would probably call it reach instead of fetch,

John,

No, I mean fetch-in as opposed to reach-out. A mic does not reach
out - it waits for stuff to come in. Eyes look out, ears listen in.
:-)

I was giving alternative mic techniques in response to the question of
most useful microphones. Everyone has their own preferences and I also
ran through other mics, but I spent 28 years earning my keep mainly
behind gunmics, so that is my personal preference. Gunmics give you a
great control over unwanted sounds.

Laziness in old age also comes into it as my mic pairs are noe usually
in a fixed position waiting for wildlife to come past. :-) It is nice
to have a good fetch range for passing goodies like the woodpecker.

Everyone develops their own techniques and perferences, and when
doling out advice, we need to cover all sorts of options. I was lucky
to have a Company tech stores with a large range of mics to choose
from, bur the preference for broadcasting field work is strongly with
highly directional mics. I lugged an 815/6 around the World including
on remote expeditions and often used it. I was also the first in my
Department to pioneer field stereo with a documentary about African
railways and other films.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce