Re: was: What is a good nature sound recording?

Subject: Re: was: What is a good nature sound recording?
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:56 am ((PST))
The idea of deep listening -- in the context of soundscapes -- originated w=
ith the work that R. Murray Schafer (Canadian composer, naturalist, and fat=
her of the word, "soundscape") and his colleagues were doing at Simon Frase=
r University in the 1960s and 70s which culminated in Schafer's seminal pie=
ce titled "Tuning of the World" (1977) and the establishment of the World F=
orum for Acoustic Ecology (WFAE). Their work was influenced, in part, by tw=
o great European natural soundscape recordists, Walter Tilgner (Germany), a=
nd Jean Roch=E9 (France) who both began collecting natural soundscape recor=
dings and writing and speaking about attentive listening in the late 1960s.=
 In 1988, Pauline Oliveros, an American composer, started a group called th=
e Deep Listening Band and recorded several albums under that rubric. Along =
with that of her colleague, John Cage, her message, to a fairly wide audien=
ce, was precisely to listen deeply. Every one of these early proponents of =
natural sound wrote and spoke eloquently about the disappearing voice of th=
e natural world and its altered consequences to the lives of all living org=
anisms. And, of course, deep listening has always been a major element of Z=
en thought and practice=85for centuries.

A good soundscape recording is an audio example that best represents a sens=
e of place. In the final analysis, it's either a good or bad representation=
, well-recorded or not.

Bernie Krause

On Dec 16, 2012, at 10:27 PM, Mark <> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm reading Neil Young's autobiography 'Waging Heavy Peace'. What he is d=
oing on a fundamental level is promoting listening, by his proposed "Pure-s=
ound" project renamed, PONO 24bit 382kbs player and cloud delivery system. =
To me, if the company he has encouraged succeed, this could be a very signi=
ficant and important change environmentally. By starting with your own envi=
ronment, a small incremental shift in listening awareness might have deep a=
nd far reaching implications, long run. His ideas are musical and studio re=
cording based, but my God! How I would love hearing exactly what 'you' hear=
 in your original recordings. I know people say in blind studies no one can=
 tell the difference, but I believe even so called experts are not always t=
rained to 'feel' music or sound.

> Klas is touching on something very deep that I have always disagreed with=
 environmental activism, and that is that individuals must have a shift bef=
ore change. I love Gordon Hempton's work for precisely this reason, as he l=
aments the quiet disappearing, he is asking us to listen deeply.

> Mark

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442