Sonels and Splash

Subject: Sonels and Splash
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:31 am ((PDT))
> 'Splashing', I'm thinking might refer to brightness and realism?
> Certainly applies to the SSM!

Vicky,

"Splash" or "Splashing" is when a part of a sound image comes from the
wrong speaker. An example is a bird clearly singing on the left when
some of its call, like the high frequencies, are heard on the right
speaker. It's a term for messy stereo and is also heard with sounds at
the rear of some mic rigs when a sound object does not focus well at
the rear. Out of phase sounds splash all over the place. You know
splashing when you hear it.

I'm impressed with the SSM recordings. It gives a well defined stereo
image with a lot of detail.

> Can't guess on 'sonel' though.

A sonel is a sound pixel. The more separate sonels you can hear, the
better the stereo image.

The very minimum to be stereo is 3 sonels - left, mid, right. You
really need the intermediate points as well half left and half right.

If you have a nice even image like the SSM, you can distinguish at
least four more intermediate points giving a 9 sonel stereo image or
more.

Of course this also depends on your listening setup, but being able to
hear a distinct number of stereo sonels gives a measure of the stereo
quality. You may for instance lose definition at each side and only
distinguish 7 or 5 sonels across the middle, or with a nice clear
image, rack up more than 9 separate sonels.

I check my stereo setups by walking around them shaking peanuts in a
cardboard canister (Pringles tube). This shows up fuzzy points in the
stereo image and spacial distortion of the image, which I get with my
crossed gunmics if not set well. I then describe this in terme of
sonels.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce